In the 10th century, Chinese medicine created many formulas for improving sexual activity and impotence. Each formula contained at least 80% Cistanche.
Legend for the "Battle of Thirteen Wings"
During the war, known as the "Battle of Thirteen Wings" when Genghis Khan intended to unite Mongolia, his army was ambushed, exhausted and discouraged.
In one moment his army was attacked by white horses which came from the sky. Genghis Khan's army started cutting the white horses throats, and from the blood that had fallen on the ground, "Cistanche Tubulosa" started growing. This battle was accepted as a sign from God that Khan's army will be victorious.
According to this legend, after this battle, Genghis Khan started consuming this desert plant daily. Supposedly as a result of the consumption of this unusual herb plant, his sexual potency increased so much that, according to legend, it is said that 8% of the Asian population are his direct descendants. Leading by this information, according to today's calculations, it means that 1 in 200 people is Asia are direct descendants of Genghis Khan.
Cistanche is grown in the Takla Makan desert, and is traditionally used in herbal medicine in China. The Hotan region, an oasis in the Takla Makan Desert, has one of the four longest life expectancies in the world. This is the area where Cistanche Tubulosa grows. The percentage of elderly people that live to be over one-hundred years old in this region is the highest in all of China, over three times that of Okinawa in Japan which is famous for its people's longevity.
Cistanche is one of the showiest plants with bright yellow, dense column of flowers sometimes raising one meter in height. It has varying flower color with the flowers either tightly packed in the spike or loose. Cistanche is one of several plants in Arabia, that lives off other plants to gain their nutritional needs, as they have no green parts or leaves to synthesize chlorophyll directly.
The stem and bark are dried and ground into a powder that boosts the immune system, supports healthy erectile function, improves memory, helps with fatigue, helps with kidney disease, slows the aging process and much more.*
Some call Cistanche Tubulosa one of the best herbs that Chinese Medicine has to offer. Cistanche, also known as Rou Cong Rong in mandarin, has long been considered as one of the best Chinese herbs to strengthen kidneys, tonify Yang, and benefit essence and blood*. It was once a daily routine demanded by ancient imperial dynasties.
Succulent cistanche bark and stem contains cistanoside A, B, C, H, acteoside, 2′-acetyl acteoside, echinacoside, 7 phenylethanoid glycoside compositions, liriodendron, 8-epiloganic acid, daucosterol, betaine, β-sitosterol, mannitol, N,N-Dimethylglycine methyl ester, succinic acid, Triacontanol, polysaccharides, and 15 kinds of amino acids like phenylalanine, leucine, isoleucine, lysine, serine, etc.
Suggested benefits include:
- Sexual Health - The major component of Cistanche tubulosa extract, echinacoside and acteoside is said to be responsible for improving sexual ability in both genders. It has the ability to support healthy fertility in women. *
- Libido Boosting Herb - Cistanche Tubulosa boosts the production of hormones and neurotransmitters thus boosting libido in both men and women. *
- Boosts Killer Cell Production - Studies at Doshisha University show that Cistanche Tubulosa also boosts up NK or the natural killer cells within the body thus helping to fend off disease. *
- Better Memory and Learning - Studies with mice had shown that Cistanche Tubulosa enhances memory and learning capabilities. *
- Chronic Kidney Disease - In Traditional Chinese Medicine Cistanche Tubulosa has long been used to treat Chronic Kidney Disease. *
- Cistanche Tubulosa contains Vitamins A, B, and C, plus 15 types of amino acids such as lysine, phenylalanine, leucine, isoleucine, 2′-acetyl acteoside, serine,acteoside, echinacoside, 7 powerful glycosides, liriodendron, mannitol, 8-epiloganic acid, daucosterol, betaine, β-sitosterol, N, succinic acid, N-Dimethylglycine methyl esterm, many different polysaccharides, plus lots of trace minerals. *
- Powerful Antioxidant - Cistanche Tubulosa contains lots of powerful antioxidants that help to prevent and repair DNA damage and thus disease. *
- Reduced Fatigue in Elderly - Studies at Doshisha University with 35 elderly patients showed that after 12 weeks of taking Cistanche Tubulosa they had more vigor and vitality. *
- In TCM Cistanche Tubulosa is used to treat yang deficiency syndrome and to treat kidney deficiency. *
- Builds Strength - Cistanche Tubulosa helps to maintain and build up glycogen stores in the muscles, and also reduces the breakdown of muscle fibers during exercise. It also powers up mitochondria for faster rehab of muscles and better muscles contractions. *
- Anti-inflammatory - Cistanche Tubulosa is also a good anti-inflammatory which helps with arthritis, joint pain, swelling, and redness. It also helps with inflammation of the kidneys. *
- Female Infertility - Cistanche Tubulosa also helps with excessive uterine bleeding, infertility, and other female health challenges, plus it also helps with urinary incontinence. *
- Cardiovascular Benefits - Studies show that a persons pulse rate goes down when taking Cistanche Tubulosa and it seems to heal arteriosclerosis… thus it also helps prevent heart attacks and lowers blood pressure. *
- Slows the Aging Process - Cistanche Tubulosa contains is a powerful anti-aging agent called cistanoside that helps with memory, revitalizes the thymus gland, the gonads, and other organs of the body. *
- Increases Metabolism - Cistanche Tubulosa also boost up metabolism and utilizes fat thus we lose weight. *
- Blood Changes - Studies show that Cistanche Tubulosa also increases platelet count for better clotting and white blood cell count for fighting off invading bacteria and viruses. *
- Immune system - Cistanche Tubulosa is used to prevent fatigue and to increase energy. *
Medicinally, Cistanche is considered as one of safest herbs in chinese medicine in that it has little to no side effects.
2009 World Scientific Publishing Company Institute for Advanced Research in Asian Science and Medicine ; The Hypocholesterolemic Effects of Cistanche tubulosa Extract, a Chinese Traditional Crude Medicine, in Mice.
Epub 2015 May 25; College of Veterinary Medicine, Northwest A&F University , Yangling , China, College of Biological Science and Engineering, Shaanxi University of Technology , Hanzhong , China and Department of Biomedical Sciences , University of Guelph , Guelph , Ontario , Canada; Cistanche tubulosa ethanol extract mediates rat sex hormone levels by induction of testicular steroidgenic enzymes.
2016 Jan ; School of Public Health, Xinjiang Medical University, No. 393 Xinyi Road, Urumqi 830011, Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, China, Key Laboratory for Uighur Medicine, Institute of Materia Medica of Xinjiang, No. 140 Xinhua South Road, Tianshan District, Urumqi 830000, Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, China; Phenylethanol Glycosides from Cistanche tubulosa Suppress Hepatic Stellate Cell Activation and Block the Conduction of Signaling Pathways in TGF-β1/smad as Potential Anti-Hepatic Fibrosis Agents.
7 July 2006; Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina-ku, Kyoto 607-8412, Japan; Phenylethanoid oligoglycosides and acylated oligosugars with vasorelaxant activity from Cistanche tubulosa 2016 Li, Lin, Gu, Gao and Tzeng; Herbal Cistanche (Rou Cong-Rong): One of the Best Pharmaceutical Gifts of Traditional Chinese Medicine.